Documents required for F1 Visa
Any international student who wants to study in the USA will need to obtain a student visa in the USA. Most students are granted an F1 visa, and the normal flow / process for obtaining an F1 / V1 is as follows:
Before applying for your F1 student visa in the USA, you must apply for and be approved by a SEVP-accredited school.
- Must have an acceptance from SEVP Approved School
- Pay your SEVIS Fee and Get Your I-20
- Once you have accepted, you will be required to pay a SEVIS 901 fee to be enrolled in a Student Activities Program (SEVIS). After that, your school will provide you with Form I-20. This form will be presented to the visa officer when you visit the embassy for your F1 visa interview. If your spouse and / or children plan to stay in the USA with you while you study, they will need to have individual I-20 Forms, but will not need to be registered on SEVIS.
- Complete the Visa application form
- Applying for F1 student visa may vary depending on the U.S. embassy you are dealing with. You will have to pay a non-refundable visa entry fee. There is an online visa application available, which allows you to complete and print a Form DS-160 that you can take on with the visa application.
- Organize and prepare yourself for the interview
- Schedule your interview with the embassy or consulate as early as possible. Waiting times for interview appointments vary by location, season, and visa category, so you must apply for your visa early. F1 USA student visa can be issued up to 120 days prior to your study start date. You will only be able to enter the US with an F1 visa 30 days before the start of your prospective course.
- A valid passport
- A passport photo as per USA specification
- Other documents may be requested to prove your F1 student visa eligibility, including academic documents, diplomas, qualifications, or certificates. Test scores such as TOEFL, SAT, GRE, or GMAT may also be requested, along with proof of your intention to leave the U.S. after your program is complete and proof of your financial stability.
Do you know?
You cannot get I-20 without paying SEVIS fee.
F1 Visa Interview
Your F1 visa application will determine if you qualify for an F1 student visa in the USA. If you think you have prepared the necessary documents and you meet all the F1 visa requirements, your visa will be approved at the discretion of the visa officer.
Digital fingerprints will be taken for records. Your passport will be taken so that you can get your visa and you will be notified when you can get it, either by collection or by post.
Documents Required for F1 Visa Faqs!
Following documents are needed for the F-1 student visa:
- Passport (old passport if any)
- DS-160 barcode page
- Form I-20
- Visa application fee receipts and SEVIS fee receipt
Yes, you are required to attend an interview at the US embassy.
No, visa fee is non-refundable
Free Student Assessment
Please Complete our free online student assessment form and one of our academic counsellor will contact you shortly to discuss your study options.