Spousal Sponsorship​2020-11-13T08:05:54+00:00

The government of Canada is dedicated to keeping families together. Many foreign nationals leave the comfort of their home country in search of a better life in Canada. When they successfully immigrate to Canada, it’s only natural that they would want to bring their loved ones with them. This is why we have the Family Class Sponsorship Program, and more specifically a subcategory called the Spousal Sponsorship Program. As the name indicates, this program’s focus is reuniting spouses and common-law partners. The sponsor must have Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status to be eligible to sponsor their partner.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) knows it is important to help families who come from other countries to reunite in Canada. If you are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, you can sponsor your spouse, dependent child (including adopted child) or other eligible relative (such as a parent or grandparent) to become a permanent resident.

But the person who is sponsoring them should be able to meet the financial criteria. It takes about 8 to 14 months for spouse and children sponsorship and 24 to 40 months for parents.

Canadian citizens and permanent residents may sponsor their spouse or common-law partner for immigration to Canada. If successful, the sponsored person obtains permanent resident status, allowing the couple (or family, if applicable) to build their lives in Canada.

The common-law / spousal sponsorship Canada immigration program is a part of the Family Class category, through which Canada welcomes a substantial number of new permanent residents annually.

If you are interested in this pathway to permanent residence, either as the sponsor or sponsored person, there is much to consider. Important considerations include:

  • What is your civil status?
  • Are you living in the same location at the time of the application?
  • Is the sponsor a Canadian citizen, or is the sponsor a permanent resident?

Both the sponsor and sponsored person must be approved by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) in order for the sponsored person to receive Canadian permanent residence.

Common-Law / Spousal Sponsorship Canada: Who can sponsor?

You can become a sponsor if you are:

If you are a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when your spouse or partner becomes a permanent resident. You can’t sponsor someone if you are a permanent resident living outside Canada.

Some other things to note:

  • If you reside in the province of Quebec, you must also satisfy Quebec’s additional requirements.
  • If you were sponsored by a spouse or partner, you may not be a sponsor yourself until five years have passed since you became a permanent resident.
  • The sponsor is financially responsible for the person sponsored for three years after the sponsored person becomes a permanent resident.
  • You can sponsor your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner if he or she is at least 18 years old and your relationship is genuine (real) and wasn’t entered into for the purpose of obtaining immigrant status in Canada.

Do you know Most of the spousal sponsorship applications are processed in a period of 12 months.

Who is a spouse?

A spouse is a partner with whom you are legally married. This includes both opposite- and same-sex relationships.

Who is a common-law partner?

A common-law partner isn’t legally married to you, but has been living with you for at least 12 consecutive months, meaning

  • You have been living together continuously for one year, without any long periods apart;
  • If either of you left your home it was for family obligations or work or business travel; and
  • Any time spent away from each other must have been short and temporary.

The definition of common-law partner includes both opposite- and same-sex relationships.

Who is a conjugal partner?

A conjugal partner is a person outside Canada who has had a binding relationship with you for at least one year, but could not, for some reason(s), live with you. Individuals living in Canada are not eligible to be sponsored as conjugal partners.

The definition of conjugal partner includes both opposite- and same-sex relationships.Spousal Sponsorship Canada: Understanding Inland and Outland

Spousal Sponsorship Canada: Understanding Inland and Outland?

Two terms are commonly used to describe the types of application that may be submitted: Outland sponsorship, and Inland sponsorship. Though these terms are rarely, if ever, used by IRCC, they are nonetheless terms that applicants, representatives, and other stakeholders often use.

If the sponsored person resides outside Canada, the application for permanent residence must be submitted to the visa office that serves his or her country of origin, or where he or she has resided legally for at least one year. This is referred to as Outland sponsorship.

Inland sponsorship may be pursued when the couple is together in Canada and the foreign spouse/common-law partner has temporary status in Canada, either as a worker, student, or visitor. Under Inland sponsorship, the sponsored person may be eligible for an open work permit, allowing him or her to work in Canada while the application is being processed. This open work permit initiative first began as a pilot program in 2014, and has then been extended every year since after it became clear that it helped families across Canada.

Applicants residing in Canada may choose to pursue Outland sponsorship, even though they reside in Canada (therefore also making Inland sponsorship an option). A potential advantage to the Outland pathway is that in some cases the processing time may be shorter. However, IRCC has taken steps to reduce processing times in the spousal/common-law sponsorship program, particularly Inland sponsorship applications, thereby making Inland sponsorship more attractive than before, particularly as this pathway includes the possibility of the sponsored person being allowed to work in Canada before processing of the sponsorship application has been completed.

Spousal Sponsorship Faqs !

Is the Study Permit application paper-based?2021-08-10T09:15:54+00:00

The SDS study permit application has to be completed online, it is not a paper-based application.

What is the SDS Processing time?2021-08-10T07:29:54+00:00

After the completion of your biometrics, the Canadian Student Visa gets processed normally within 20 days.

Is the SDS stream applicable for both graduate and undergraduate studies in Canada ?2021-08-10T07:33:31+00:00

Both students entering a graduate and undergraduate program of study in Canada, can apply through the SDS stream, provided that it is done through a Designated Learning Institution (DLI).

Can a study permit be extended?2021-08-10T07:35:04+00:00

Yes! You can extend your study permit up to 30 days prior to its expiration but make sure your passport doesn’t expire before or at the same time.

Why should I process my application with Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant?2021-08-10T11:43:46+00:00

Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants are legally authorised representatives and members in good standing with the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC). Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant can directly represent students Canadian Study Visa / Study Permit in Canadian Embassy. To find out more please complete our free student assessment. One of our dedicated Educational Counsellors will contact you to discuss your study options in detail!

We’re Available 24/7 For Our Clients

Through Professionalism, Integrity & Honesty



Migracon is one of the established Canadian registered incorporation under the laws of Canada, mainly emphasizing successful Immigration Consulting & Education Advisory Services to our clients throughout the world with head office in Mississauga (Greatest Toronto Area) Canada. Due to our trustworthy and quality service approach the company is popular in all standards of people. Our clients are mainly from India, UAE, Egypt, Jordan, Turkey, Bangladesh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Malaysia & Indonesia seeking immigration consulting services as well as education advisory in Canadian universities and colleges for their children.


Sign-up to get the latest news and update information. Don't worry, we won't send spam!

    Go to Top